On 18.10.2011 18:24, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
> All aircraft related development shall henceforth be performed on
> repositories which are maintained by the respective authors.
>
> It is planned that most of the repositories on
>
> https://gitorious.org/flightgear-aircraft
>
> will be dissolved over time and be taken over by the respective authors.
 >
> On a sidenote, some of those repositories are already superflous because
> development has long been moved somewhere else. These are the first
> repositories which will be decomissioned.

I don't think this is what we agreed upon. We agreed to split fgdata for
technical reasons, to cut it into smaller chunks and make it easier to
maintain. With separate repos we can give each author direct commit
rights - without requiring full access to the rest of fgdata.
But there was no agreed decision to "dissolve" our central community
aircraft repository.

And personally I think that would be a very, very bad idea to do so.

If you look at our aircraft, you'll see the history go way back to the
very beginning of FlightGear. Meanwhile, many aircraft developers have
joined and left the project. Many private hangars have been created,
shutdown, some were lost. The only aircraft which are guaranteed to live
on are those in a repository controlled by the FlightGear community.
It's not a guarantee forever - but it's a guarantee that is connected to
the FlightSim (core / source code) itself - which is what really matters.

A community repo has a lot of advantages. When people leave, work isn't
lost - maintenance kind of automatically "transfers" to the community.
When really necessary, we can also apply patches - i.e. when something
about the flight sim itself has to be changed and aircraft really need
to be adapted (which we usually try to avoid, of course).
A central repo also allowed us to use the bug tracker for aircraft
issues. No one is going to work the bug tracker for issues which affect
aircraft living in some dodgy private hangar, probably in 8 different
versions maintained by 3 different authors - and we're going to see
loads of aircraft forks, without an "official" repo.

We'd also be seeing fewer GPLed aircraft. So far, we had the strict
rule: only GPLed stuff was accepted - which was very good for the
project. Without such a central hangar, there is one reason less for
GPL. And when the majority of aircraft wasn't GPLed any longer,
FlightGear will be much less attractive. And why should someone work on
_GPLed_ FG core sources - if the rest isn't?

The aircraft in our main repository are worth a lot. It's been there for
many, many years and it took many, many hours to create. The aircraft
probably account for far more than 50% of the time spent on creating
FlightGear. It'd be extremely unfortunate to drop all this from the FG
community project. And only being slightly provocative: if splitting
FGDATA now turns toward a path of "breaking up" our FG aircraft - I'll
rather propose to keep the existing FGDATA.

So, before any such major decision affecting the community is made here,
I would really like everyone's opinion. Especially Curt's...

cheers,
Thorsten

PS: The old git repo was "only" 4GB in size: 3GB of git history for
aircraft, 1GB for the rest. It was looking much bigger of course, once a
git branch was checked out - since files were copied into the working
directory (doubles the size) and also decompressed (factor >>2).