Am Montag, den 05.12.2011, 16:16 +0000 schrieb lists:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 22:14:18 +0000, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
>
> > Rather than using the same texture, we can simply have a separate
> > "texture" for object type and rotation.
>
> It's simple enough to place objects along a linear feature (like a
> road):
>
> http://www.stockill.net/Junk/newscenery/fgfs-screen-008.png
>
> (It's some older scenery which didn't actually include the road, but
> you get the idea).
>
> I'd rather we didn't spend too much time adding features to textures
> which will clash with "real" data.

It won't clash if we get rid of urban textures in the long term.

In my opinion the best visual quality can be reached if we give every
generic and none generic 3d object a couple of ground textures that
match like in the tetravex game screenshot example (see other e-mail)
with all the other generic 3d object textures by selecting the right
one.
The good thing about this approach would be, that you could really go
into detail and you would have a natual visual representation where
everything harmonizes.
Though, this approach would need a lot of processing power.

> I took a slightly different approach - a different material for the
> rough:
>
> http://www.stockill.net/Junk/newscenery/fgfs-screen-023.png
> http://www.stockill.net/Junk/newscenery/fgfs-screen-024.png
> http://www.stockill.net/Junk/newscenery/fgfs-screen-029.png
>
> It works for parks too:
>
> http://www.stockill.net/Junk/newscenery/fgfs-screen-020.png

Your approach might met real data, but it looks unnatural.
If we ever want to have a natural looking visual quality, then this can
be only reached by an approach with matching textures on todays
hardware.
You're approach might look natural in 200 years, when we have the right
hardware and petabytes of real data for it, but not now and not in 20
years. That's the problem i see here.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.