On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Torsten Dreyer wrote:
>> One question for the release managers: Do performance improvements such as
>> these count as bug fixes or features? Should we try to get this into
>> the 2.6.0 release, or wait until 2.8.0?
>
> For me, 3d clouds are currently mostly unusable. If this cures the
> issue, I'd call it a fix. However, the feature-freeze is for preparing a
> mostly stable (not necessarily perfect) codebase, so please decide yourself:
>
> Does it need extensive testing?
Possibly. In particular, the Impostor changes will increase the memory
requirements and may have some graphics-card specific behaviour I'm not aware
of.

One way to address this might be to default the
/sim/rendering/clouds3d-use-impostors
to false, which will default to the previous behaviour (e.g. LoD nodes
rather than
Impostors), while retaining the geometry changes that are less controversial.

> Does it interfere with other systems?
No.

> Does it have the potential to raise additional issues?
There's a stability risk from the Impostors, as these are new OSG constructs
we've not used before, and which AFAICT aren't commonly used elsewhere.

> Does it have the potential to endanger the release schedule?
No. The changes are self-contained and could be easily backed out at any
point.

> What do you think?
I suggest we default the impostors to be switched off by default.
That's a trivial
change to line 72 of cloudfield.cxx.  I don't know if that impacts the
perf improvements
that Matthias is seeing.

I'm also happy to have this left until after the 2.6.0 release.

-Stuart

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011