> > And with Project Rembrandt waiting in the wings is this worth doing
> > at this stage at all?
>
> Project Rembrandt seems to be about something different - detailed
> rendering of shadows in the near zone (~15 km) - what I do is about
> approximate rendering of atmospheric shading in the far zone (~1000
> km).
>
> The two approaches might be mutually exclusive such that you have to
> run one or the other, I don't know, but somehow the question itself
> strikes me as odd - certainly it's worth doing if only for the simple
> reason that I find it interesting working out what causes all the
> colors we see at sunrise.

Rembrandt is not just shadowing. A fair amount of code is about lighting.
The principle is that the geometry is not renderer shaded at the first
stage, but just geometric and material properties are recorded in textures.
Then the lighting is done globally on the whole scene, with one
pass for each light source. The atmospheric source (usually the sun but
it could be the moon by night) is done by rendering a screen aligned
quad on the whole scene, reconstruct the view position and normals from
data stored in textures and apply whatever lighting equation you can
write in a fragment shader. The fog is applied by another similar pass.

The exception is transparent objects, including clouds, that are rendered
the classical way and composited with the opaque world.

Regards,
-Fred