As an aside:  When working on the codebase, I maintain a local script
that launches FGFS by disabling whatever features prevent the
simulation from being flyable on my development machine.  When I am
unable to turn off features that prevent the simulator from running,
and disabling them in source isn't clean enough to maintain as a local
patch, I stop working on the project until the next time I buy a
machine ... at which point I revisit the script.  Flyability includes
being able to sustain at least 3 FPS.

It would probably make things a lot simpler for the average user if
FGFS included a wizard that automatically identified which
combinations of features would be usable on a specific installation.
Using that result as constraining logic in the menus would allow
unusable features to be kept disabled and trivially cheap features
(for the given hardware) to be kept enabled.