On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 19:17 +0200, James Turner wrote:

> This is interesting - as far as I know, the current GC does not
> include a maximum delay and restart facility. If it did, that would
> entirely satisfy the current issues.  At least by my understanding.
>
> Equally, I've looked at the current GC code and didn't notice any code
> to support this feature. Does anyone else have any further information
> about this? Since it would be far simpler and more robust than any
> other solution thus suggested.

I did a bit of thinking about this while enjoying a sunny sunday over
here today. And I start to believe that adding timestamp to the data
blocks and by making sure new blocks are inserted at the beginning of
the linked list is would be easy to do something like this for the
garbage collector:

* process the linked list every second up to the point that timestamps
get older than 8 seconds.
* process blocks that are older than 8 second and less than 1 minute
every minute.
* treat blocks that are older than 1 minute as semi-permanent and only
process them incrementally with (say) 16 blocks at a time.

It might spread the load a little that way.

Erik