I've run into a problem with git and I seem to hit a dead end no matter
which way I turn.  I'm hoping this is something easy to solve, but the
details might be complicated to communicate?  I'll try to start simple --
I'm working with the fgdata repository.  I created my own branch and have
been tracking some experimental stuff there.  This has been working well
and when I do a "git pull" I will checkout my local branch and merge with
the master to make sure everything is tracking well and stays compatible.

With my most recent attempt to merge my local branch with master I got an
error (unfortunately now I do not remember what the exact error was, and I
had to do a reboot for other reasons in the mean time.)  My first thought
after getting an error trying to merge was maybe I should rebase since I've
just been merging all along.

So I ran "git rebase" and that ran did a lot of work, but then generated
some error messages about whitespace, and then displayed some message that
it had to fall back to a 3-way diff.  That ran and ran for quite some time
and (I think?) errored out.  Again, I don't have the message any more. :-(

Now after my reboot, I'm trying to figure out what's going on.  If I run
"git branch" I get:

$ git branch
* (no branch)

If I try to checkout any branch I get a list of files that need merge and
then the message: "error: you need to resolve your current index first".

If I "git add" any of these files, what branch am I adding them to and
merging them into?  (no branch)?

It seems like all the git help I can find for these error messages presumes
I can checkout a branch -- but I can't.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: