> The typical fix is to edit the conflicting files and "git add" them the run
> "git rebase --continue".
> But these files don't exist so I can't edit them, git add fails, git rm also
> fails since they don't exist.

If the files no longer exist, I think one solution is to tell the system to
skip the patch:

git rebase --skip

did the trick for me on a similar occasion. The rebase operation then goes on
with the next patch. If you actually want the files,

git checkout <branch where files still exist> -- <non-existing file>

should fetch them from the branch where they still exist.

I also frequently use

git status

to track what exactly the problem is. Although I am probably not the best
source for GIT troubleshooting, I feel your pain. I've had similar trouble a
few times.

Cheers,

* Thorsten