On Thursday, November 22, 2012 21:44:03 ThorstenB wrote:

> navradio is the current/old standard, newnavradio is the new module.
> Most aircraft use "navradio", few "newnavradio". I'm not sure if there
> is a plan to switch/replace the old radio at some point, and whether the
> new module was compatible with the old etc. But for now, both are there.
> TorstenD is the expert here.
>
> cheers,
> Thorsten

Right, classic navradio is done too, but there's a small problem there.
Localizer and glideslope would be in reality two different radio stations,
with glideslope using frequencies upwards of 300 MHz and different propagation
characteristics, antenna configurations etc. Right now ILS is treated as a LOC
station only. If glideslope is added as a separate station in the future, it
should be no problem, just a couple of lines to rewrite.

Ok, so now when flying say 20 km from a VOR station we are tuned into, but we
have a range of mountains between or a really big hill and we are nap of the
earth, we won't be able to hear the VOR (nor an ILS for that matter), making
flying in mountain areas more interesting.

The directional radiation pattern used for LOC/GS equipment is a rather crude
yagi with 4 elements. This can of course be replaced with something more
realistic.

Since my old merge request was mothballed for 6 months, I fear that my own
branch and fg/next are diverging too much, even if I struggle to keep it
updated. There are lots of improvements that I still have to make, but the old
radio code which is now in fg/next should really be replaced with the new one
which solves some serious issues and brings a lot of improvements.

Cheers,
Adrian