On Tuesday 11 December 2012 13:49:51 Eric van den Berg wrote:
> So it is kind of modelled like an air pump. Interesting method.

Piston engines are basically air pumps.

We currently calculate power by dividing the mass fuel flow by the
user-entered bsfc multiply by correction factors for mixture and spark and
subtract a little bit for good measure. The little bit ensures the engine
stops spinning if it isn't producing power. The propeller code will keep it
spinning under certain conditions, and needs to be fixed up to let it start
the engine spinning again...

 If I were to start over with this model the biggest thing I would change
would be replacing the power calculation with the Otto cycle[note 2] pressure
calculations. We already (as mentioned) calculate the area of [1:2]+[6:1] as
pumping losses.[note 3] The trick to this method is calculating the [3:4]
pressure rise to get the area of [3:4:5:6] This should let us roll the egt
and cylinder temp calculations into the power loop and make them more
meaningful. Right now they are largely just indications, altough egt does
indicate power somewhat correctly.

That may be done in the future as we can then more easily add a diesel cycle.

Ron

[2] http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/otto.html#c5
[3] http://mae.wvu.edu/~smirnov/mae320/figs/F9-2.jpg