On 30 Dec 2012, at 05:23, Jörg Emmerich <j-emmer...@online.de> wrote:

> So I would not change the MPchat-mode of operation - even so it truly is
> a real pain when in the triangle up to 4 ATCs are talking to pilots
> being in MPchat-range of all 4 ATCs. On the other hand it is the very
> best propaganda for FGCOM.
>
> An even better propagation would be the integration of FGCOM-CODE into
> the FGFS release -- why can only OSX do that?

It won't happen for 2.10 unfortunately, but my intention is to move fgcom into
the flightgear code repository, and to make it a library function that can be
compiled standalone or into fgfs[.exe]. This will simplify the setup, and also
mean everyone has access to FGCom. It would also then be possible, to add some
feature, that when MultiPlayer is enabled, we automatically tune people to
listen in to 'nearby' ATC - maybe on some special advertisement frequency.
Think ATIS but with a message saying 'voice ATC is available in this area -
please tune your com radio to xxx.xx to participate'.

I think being able to listen-in, without participating, would help new users
get the idea of voice ATC, without feeling the must join in. But I may be wrong
about that!

Since we have the XMLHTTPRequest code working now, it's easy to retrieve a list
of FGCOM servers dynamically, or even a list of active ATCs - with arbitrary
fields such as locale (lat / lon) and frequency, and offer a dialog box to tune
to them. You can imagine a web service that lets ATCs register as being
online/offline at a particular facility.

James