On Monday 28 January 2013 08:02:14 Renk Thorsten wrote:

> >  Any
> > additional uniform takes time to be set up in the driver. Any code that
> > is in the shader and that cannot be optimized away at *link* time of the
> > shader may
> > take registers which affects the partitioning and the amount of paralell
> > executed threads in the GPU.
>
> You mean to say a shader which isn't even compiled takes away performance?
> (A non-functional shader doesn't throw a compile error unless it is
> actually switched on in the GUI, so they don't seem to be compiled up-front
> just in case).

No, I think what he meant is that (without me ever even seeing shader code)
something like:
if (enable_light_scattering) {
    a = b + c;
}
compromises performance, even if light_scattering is disabled because the
compiler would assign registers to this code (the a = b + c), even though it
will never be executed. These registers could be used to more efficiently
execute the code that actually runs.

Stefan