On 02/22/2013 07:10 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:

>> ..a pointer to your previous message would help here, this thread
>> is broken (in at least my MUA) and getting hard to follow.
>
> Maybe we just have some cultural misunderstandings?
>
> The way I see it - if you want to make a statement in a discussion,
you have to read what has been said before. No matter how hard it is to
follow. No matter how long. Everything else is impolite - you're in
essence sending the message "I don't really care what you've been saying
already, but I think my opinion is so important so that I neither need
to react to what you've been saying previously nor to care not to repeat
what's already been solved - but I expect you to react to what I have to
say." You don't want to follow the discussion because it's so
complicated, that's fine, but then don't speak up.

> The categorical imperative will tell you that it doesn't work if some
people want special treatment.

> In the event Lorenzo argues for instance against loading terrain far
out for radar purposes. Nobody has proposed to do that, so it's a
strawman argument in the first place. Vivian has mentioned the dangers
of the approach, I have agreed with him, so what is the possible point
of arguing against something no one wants to do? Replying to that only
keeps the discussion in one more unproductive cycle and doesn't make
anything clearer. He argues for using visibility as a device to adjust
framerate, ignoring all arguments brought against seeing visibility as a
mere tool to adjust framerate, and despite James sketching a LOD bias
system as a well-defined alternative way to get framerate adjusted using
LOD ranges. So he doesn't bother to read what Vivian, James and I have
been saying - why should it then be my job to give him pointers?
Straw man ?!?!?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man [See :: structure point 2.5] and
you will understand that simplifying my point of view trying to
invalidate it is ... a straw man technique.
Are you so sure that it is not what you have done concluding rushy that
I do not had read the previous posts and spoofing the rest ???

If my post was unclear you had could ask for make more clear. At second
read I believe it was unclear but It was a neutral question and not an
attack to anything !

Let me tell you that for one that come from outside, yes I am new in FG
devel, but not in FG (years) nor in programming (decades), it is really
difficult to made up a relatively sufficient big picture !!!

I spent months to read ALL what I could catch, docs, wiki, sources, read
quietly all what was going on forums, mailing lists in order to *feel*
the air the team breathe, and the result ??? a big black cloud and low
visibility.
okay?
Do not try to argument the contrary.
And it is a shame for the spirit of the open source !

Where is the sharing spirit when what we see in LOT of posts is energy
to destroy the "opponent" view/argument ...

Is some want to see his argument shinning there far up, he NEED to
develop it and raise it and NOT to bomb and the colleagues arguments and
positions!

I started one project (actually two) for FG and I am scarred to see that
this place where we should see creative spirit is an arena the resolve
personal frustrations.

By the way, Mr Thorsten, it was my first post in this mailing list, I
have appreciated a lot the welcome touch.
What was you trying, ... make me feel like a dog in a bowling game ?

Straw man...
Keep knowing that I speak for my self with ideas from my head and
justified with emotions !

If you don't want to be impolite, well, just don't.

> The way I see it, if you want to criticize something, you first make
sure you understand the problem so that you can deliver a meaningful
critique, and ideally you can even suggest a better alternative. If you
speak without understanding the problem, you're choosing a very
unfriendly way to ask others to take their time and explain it to you
when understanding it should have been your job in the first place. If
you don't understand, you ask politely for an explanation, only if you
understand and disagree, you can criticize. The way I see it, if you
have criticized without understanding, you owe an apology.

> The way I see it, arguments should be based on what's correct, not
what's familiar. I'm repeatedly observing that familiar flaws are seen
as completely acceptable, but any flaw in new features is jumped on
eagerly. I'm even observing that any change is held to the standard of
what was previously installed and is perceived wrong if different. In
the forum, there was an argument that
> XXXX 012345Z 23010KT 5000 SHRA SCT012 BKN018 OVC060 15/11 Q1010
> is wrongly interpreted because it comes out much darker than in 2.0.0
- illustrated with screenshots showing 3/8 cloud cover. The familiar
trumps the correct, even given that 3/8 cloud cover is definitely not
what the METAR says - it doesn't matter that we now have the correct
cloud cover specified by the weather, it matters that it's no longer
what is familiar, and this isn't the way to make an argument. Having z/Z
control visibility because one is used to it is no argument for or
against it.

> The way I see it, arguments should be backed up with evidence. The
memory consumption of loading 20 km (50 km, 100 km) of terrain is a
number in a certain range - we don't need to toss concerns back and
forth if we go ahead and measure the number, and we should base
decisions on evidence rather than belief if we can get the evidence.

> I don't think these are grossly unreasonable foundations for
meaningful, productive discussions. I'm not in a position to make anyone
else adopt such standards as the goal for having a discussions, but
could we perhaps give it a thought?

> * Thorsten

- --
Lorenzo Calabrese