: Stuart

> Sent: 16 May 2013 22:46
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Tree issues
>
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
> >> I'm slightly surprised that Thorsten's new system doesn't support
> >> this, as evidenced from his screenshots.
> >
> > glxinfo claims that it does - I get several instances of
> > GL_ARB_multisample or GLX_ARB_multisample shown in the resulting  list
> > (at least under Linux, maybe it's a bug in the Windows driver of the
> > card only??? - I'll check next time I
> boot up Windows).
>
> Someone pointed out to me off-list that there are other control properties
> for multisampling, which I had set in my .fgfsrc file and had forgotten
about
> completely.  I've updated the effects file to check for these.
>
> I'd highly recommend setting them as I think they improve the visuals on
the
> vegetation significantly:
>
> /sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=true
> /sim/rendering/multi-samples=2
>
> I've just checked in something that should fix both issues, along with
.xcf
> source files for the existing trees that shows how they should be created,
> and a little perl script to generate .dds and low resolution .pngs from a
source
> .png file.
>
> I'm going to have one more attempt to fix the black hat in a square
texture
> before looking into reducing the number of variations.

Yup, works nicely here, there's definitely an improvement. I've also
modified the predicates for techniques 4 and 9 take that into account

I've also fixed the black hat by increasing the bleed margins in treebin.cxx
a tad:

        t->push_back(Vec2(variety + 1.0f, 0.234f));
        t->push_back(Vec2(variety, 0.234f));

I'm using the old square texture - that would need adjusting because those
margins clip the top of the higher trees.

All looking really good here now.

Vivian