Dear Bertrand,

Your comments certainly echo my thoughts. We do identify ourselves through our studies, though America has so many more art historians and universities than France does that even people with an identity often seem to disappear.

In terms of my committee, I don't yet know what will happen. My advisor seems somewhat sympathetic toward Fluxus in a skeptical kind of way. Now that books by serious scholars like Owen Smith and Hannah Higgins are being published by good university presses, things may change. My advisor -- a modernist -- tells me that it is not so long since major art history programs were skeptical toward any work on art history after 1900. The debate will continue for a while, since other committee members must agree on the topic. There is also the possibility at our university of committee members from other fields. If the department accepts this, then things may be easier, since people in culture studies or media are focused on the past few decades.

We'll see.

Jenny

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail