On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Bertrand Clavez wrote:

> Reducing art historians to the few world famous curators is to reduce art
> world to the few international artists that earns several millions of $ a
> year.
> Luckly enough, both are much wider than that.

The base of the artworld pyramid is broad indeed...

> > has there ever been a "radical art historian?" [Are they all
> > essentially failed artists?] Pick a card, any card.
> Do you mean a "radical art" historian or a radical "art historian"? And what
> could that mean? In what term could  an art historian be radical?
> Politically? methodologically?Would a marxist art history be radical for
> example? Or would it be radical only by choosing radical art movements to
> study?

The marxist historian would radical because for once, the
political bias would be stated upfront.

> Besides, what do we do with all these radical artists who writes
> historical texts (i.e. Dick Higgins, Emmett Williams, and the like)? Are
> they failed artists? Is Duchamp, when building his own collection for the
> museum, considering that collectors are in fact painters, is a failed artist
> or a radical art historian?

They all fail to prevent centrist institutions from
divesting their art -- what's worse, they encourage the
abuse.

> Can Aby Warburg, when leaving his european comfort to travel in the navajo
> tribes in the begining of the XXth Century, be considered radical? Or is he
> radical beacause of his very particuliar way of making art history through
> his Mnemosyne device?

The Photo-Album.

> Honnestly, I don't have the answers to these questions, but they might help
> to explain what I wanted to say: beyond humor and parody, things are not so
> clear and simple, first of all because behind the theories, the texts, and
> the works, there are human beings acting, thinking and living, in history of
> art as in any human activity.

This isn't very satisfying of course.

Perhaps some 'fields of study' (Anthropology, Sociology,
even Art), have become moribund: mere bureaucratic enclaves
that unwittingly perpetuate their host's imperialistic
mis-directives.

/:b