A Question:

A while back I began making labels that said "Fluxus Free Zone" and then applied them in public spaces. I continue to do so. Part of the Fluxusness of this was the Intermedia aspect via the interface between art/design/technology/literature/high-art-low-art/etc. But as I began experimenting with the "Red Circle with Nothing in it" project I began to realize that another more challenging theme was running through my Fluxworks.

That is the theme of changing a space by defining it. In the case of the Fluxus Free Zones the space is public and is defined by the time that the label remains in affixed to its substrate and by its visibility within the public space. The Red Circle project defines a smaller physical space - the page on which it appears - but the red circle with nothing in it also defines a much larger metaphysical space through the implicit existential questions it raises.

Anyway, what I'm wondering, is how pervasive this theme is within the Fluxus/Intermedia oeuvre? It seems that the idea of transformative space is implicit in much of Fluxus; there is the the space contained in a Fluxkit/Fluxbox which is temporally modified when the objects are removed and played with; there is the temporal aspect in the Event Scores and Event Performances too. But how deeply is the idea of transformed space embedded into Fluxus?

Allan