If all you want is a programmable 3D doll house with a license more open
than GPL, use OpenSimulator (BSD license) or Open Croquet (MIT license) or
Croquet's successor Open Cobalt (MIT license). I do not consider the
licensing issues on-topic for FoNC.

Open Croquet/Cobalt/Simulator make good toys. But certain aspects - object
placement, for example - tend to be haphazard and serve primarily to hide
and obfuscate. The impression I have from Open Croquet is that a bunch of
smart people built it then determined, "No. This is neat, but it isn't what
we want."

I want a system I can live in. This means a focus on cooperative work,
augmenting and orchestrating our own reality, security, programmability,
liveness, distribution, consistency, scalability, and ad-hoc 'queries' and
mashup presentations. Every artifact in the resulting world should reflect
something external to the system - the state of a database, a robot,
traffic. Artifacts should be automatically and predictably laid out in
accordance with a query (i.e. a view) and the content of the objects
themselves. Users and portals should be able to change views in ways that
transform the layout and presentation, sort of like CSS.

Gameplay can be something to model on top of this system - i.e. people can
model simulators and keep 'artificial world' databases, and share them
through views secured for gameplay purposes. I've designed several
capability security patterns for secure interaction of avatars in a
federated game world, while toying with the idea of multi-player interactive
fictions.  I would recommend Peter Wayner's 'Policing Online Games' which
also covers the case of P2P worlds.

I agree that contents should be separated from 'browser', and that
decentralization is important.