The Flex Machine was "the omelet you have to throw away to clean the pan", so I
haven't put any effort into saving that history. But there were "4 or 5" pretty
good things and "4 or 5" really bad things that helped the Alto-Smalltalk
effort a few years later. I'd say that the huge factors after having tried to
do one of these were two geniuses: Chuck Thacker (who was an infinitely better
hardware designer and builder than I was), and Dan Ingalls (who was infinitely
better at most phases of software design and implementation than I was).

Cheers,

Alan