There are also a number of live coding editors that do this for
environments like SuperCollider and Fluxus

http://supercollider.sourceforge.net/
http://www.pawfal.org/fluxus/

It has always bugged me that more coding environments don't support
this, but some languages don't lend themselves to it.
wes