On 2/27/2012 10:31 AM, David Harris wrote:
Alan ---

I appreciate both you explanation and what you are doing. Of course jealousy comes into it, because you guys appear to be having a lot of fun mixed in with your hard work, and I would love to part of that. I know where I would be breaking down the doors if I was starting a masters or doctorate. However, I have made my choices, a long time ago, and so will have live vicariously through your reports. The constraint system, a la Sketchpad, is a laudable experiment and I would love to see a hand-constructible DBjr. You seem to be approaching a much more understandable and malleable system, and achieving more of the promise of computers as imagined in the sixties and seventies, rather than what seems to be the more mundane and opaque conglomerate that is generally the case now.

WRT the "mundane opaque conglomerate":
I sort of had assumed that is how things always were and (presumably) always would be, just with the assumption that things were becoming more open due to both the existence of FOSS, and the rising popularity of scripting languages (Scheme, JavaScript, Python, ...).

like, in contrast to the huge expensive closed systems of the past (like, the only people who really know how any of it works were the vendors, and most of this information was kept secret).

I had sort of guessed that the push towards small closed embedded systems (such as smart-phones) was partly a move to try to promote/regain vendor control over the platforms (vs the relative user-freedom present on PCs).

(I don't know if I will ever go for a masters or doctorate though, as I have been in college long enough just going for an associates' degree, and would assume trying to find some way to get a job or money or similar...).

Keep up the excellent work,
David

On Monday, February 27, 2012, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com <mailto:alan.n...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
> Hi Julian
> I should probably comment on this, since it seems that the STEPS reports haven't made it clear enough.
> STEPS is a "science experiment" not an engineering project.

I had personally sort of assumed this, which is why I had thought it acceptable to mention my own ideas and efforts as well, which would be a bit more off-topic if the focus were on a single product or piece of technology (like, say, hanging around on the LLVM or Mono lists, writing about code-generators or VM technology in general, rather than the topic being restricted to LLVM or Mono, which is the focus of these lists).

but, there are lots of tradeoffs, say, between "stuff in general" and pursuit of "trying to get a marketable product put together", so trying for the latter to some extent impedes the former in my case.

although, I would personally assume everyone decides and acts independently, in pursuit of whatever is of most benefit to themselves, and make no claim to have any sort of "absolute" position.

(decided to leave out me going off into philosophy land...).

but, anyways, I tend to prefer the personal freedom to act in ways which I believe to be in my best interests, rather than being endlessly judged by others for random development choices (such as choosing to write a piece of code to do something when "there is a library for that"), like, if I can easily enough throw together a piece of code to do something, why should I necessarily subject myself to the hassles of a dependency on some random 3rd party library, and why do other people feel so compelled to make derisive comments for such a decision?

and, I would assume likewise for others. like, if it works, who cares?
like, if I write a piece of code, what reason would I have to think this somehow obligates other people to use it, and what reason do other people seem to have to believe that I think that it does? like, what if I just do something, and maybe people might consider using it if they find it useful, can agree with the license terms, ... ? and, if in-fact it sucks too hard for anyone else to have much reason to care, or is ultimately a dead-end, what reason do they have to care?

but, I don't think it means I have to keep it all secret either, but I don't really understand people sometimes... (though, I guess I am getting kind of burnt out sometimes of people so often being judgmental...).

or, at least, this is how I see things.

> It is not at all about making and distributing an "operating system" etc., but about trying to investigate the tradeoffs between "problem oriented languages" that are "highly fitted" to problem spaces vs. what it takes to design them, learn them, make them, integrate them, add pragmatics, etc. > Part of the process is trying many variations in interesting (or annoying) areas. Some of these have been rather standalone, and some have had some integration from the start. > As mentioned in the reports, we made Frank -- tacking together some of the POLs that were done as satellites -- to try to get a better handle on what an integration language might be like that is much better than the current use of Squeak. It has been very helpful to get something that is evocative of the whole system working in a practical enough matter to use it (instead of PPT etc) to give talks that involve dynamic demos. We got some good ideas from this.
>
> But this project is really about following our noses, partly via getting interested in one facet or another (since there are really too many for just a few people to cover all of them).

yep.

> For example, we've been thinking for some time that the pretty workable DBjr system that is used for visible things - documents, UI, etc. -- should be almost constructable by hand if we had a better constraint system. This would be the third working DBjr made by us ...
>
> And -- this year is the 50th anniversary of Sketchpad, which has also got us re-thinking about some favorite old topics, etc. > This has led us to start putting constraint engines into STEPS, thinking about how to automatically organize various solvers, what kinds of POLs would be nice to make constraint systems with, UIs for same, and so forth. Intellectually this is kind of interesting because there are important overlaps between the "functions + time stamps" approach of many of our POLs and with constraints and solvers.
> This looks very fruitful at this point!
>
> As you said at the end of your email: this is not an engineering project, but a series of experiments.
>
> One thought we had about this list is that it might lead others to conduct similar experiments. Just to pick one example: Reuben Thomas' thesis "Mite" (ca 2000) has many good ideas that apply here. To quote from the opening: "Mite is a virtual machine intended to provide fast language and machine-neutral just-in-time translation of binary-portable object code into high quality native code, with a formal foundation." So one interesting project could be to try going from Nile down to a CPU via Mite. Nile is described in OMeta, so this could be a graceful transition, etc. > In any case, we spend most of our time trying to come up with ideas that might be powerful for systems design and ways to implement them. We occasionally write a paper or an NSF report. We sometimes put out code so people can see what we are doing. But what we will put out at the end of this period will be very different -- especially in the center -- that what we did for the center last year.
> Cheers and best wishes,
> Alan

pretty much.

I guess one can distinguish between ideas and design elements and so on, and the particular artifacts.

often there is a lot of overlap, but many people seem to either go in one of several ways: idealizing the idea, but despising its actual implementations (as somehow "inferior"); idealizing the artifact, and assuming that everyone who wants to use the idea *must* use the particular artifact (and that failure to do so necessarily is some sort of "slippery slope" into non-conformance and chaos...).

sometimes this goes for particular documents, rather than the implementation per-se, but it is similarly frustrating (as then one can have people being judgmental about specific lines and paragraphs of some or another documents, sometimes leading to long flame-wars mixed with quotations from the documents in question).

then the "idea" people may go as far as to seemingly despise both reality and any mention of "implementation details" (or start raving about "possibilities" which are often solidly in the realm of "absurd"). similarly, they will often only care about an idea so long as it is "new", which lasts about as long as it takes for someone to actually implement it and find something useful to do with it, at which point they no longer care (and would assume just throwing it all away and chasing after some new idea).

but, I think these things miss the whole point of what roles these sorts of documents were originally intended to serve (allowing both for multiple divergent implementations, and also for helping maintain inter-operation within presumably heterogeneous environments).

but, reality has all of this, being a finely integrated mix of ideas, artifacts, and details, many of which can be torn apart and rebuilt at will, without (necessarily) tearing down some or whatever "house of cards" that reality is assumed to be made out of.

but, as I see it, ideas, standards, and their artifacts/implementations/... are tools, to be used in what ways they are useful and relevant to the person making the evaluation (like, what are the costs, and what are the benefits? ...). like, "here is what exists, what use can I make of it? how can I use it to some benefit? ...".

or such...