On 3/7/2012 8:00 PM, Max Orhai wrote:
Well, I for one dislike e-books (and honestly I don't care all that much for computers either!), so I could add a few things off the top of my head to this summing-up:

- Real books don't need power, are readable outdoors without eyestrain (more than can be said for the iPad and its imitators), and print is capable of displaying full color graphics at any resolution (unlike the grainy greyscale Kindle and imitators). This isn't "aesthetics", it's just pragmatic old-fashioned usability. Maybe technological advances will make e-books as usable as real books someday; I'm not holding my breath.

well, this is a merit.
I don't claim digital forms are all good, but they aren't all bad either.

- The "connectedness with history" thing goes forward as well as backward. I've lived through so many rapidly-obsolete technologies that I can't even count them, but I can read a fifty-year old book without even thinking about bit-rot, broken links, dead components, or emulation. I expect much longer lifetimes from my books than from any electronic device.

on one hand, devices will come and go, as will most file formats.

but, on the other, I mostly use a programming language (C) which existed for nearly a decade before I was born, and ASCII is nearly the same age as my parents...

it is possible that they will remain for generations into the future (and maybe HTML and some other modern formats will go along with them, maybe outliving nearly everyone which is currently alive...).

however, yes, data doesn't have the same level of "proven reliance" as do things like printed text, where people still have several thousand year old books written in languages like Greek and Aramaic and similar.

whereas current magnetic film and similar has a lifespan of maybe a few decades. printed pages may well make sense for long-term archival storage as well (possibly stored in special boxes, which are themselves designed for long term durability...). then any distant future archeology people can use their equivalent of a flatbed scanner to get the data back out of the pages.

another possibility (though I am less certain of its long-term durability), would be to store the data in the form of a very long scroll wrapped around a central spindle, and stored essentially on giant reels. a worry though is that possible degradation or damage could compromise the integrity of the scroll, causing it to snap if read (with a giant reel-to-reel reader, there could be fairly high tension involved).

although less convenient, special boxes seem safer, although there is a possible risk that if the box came open somehow (say, lid came off and it fell on the floor), all of the pages could get out of order... although, one could employ something resembling a 3-ring binder, or maybe even punch and suspend the pages on both sides, with some ideally non-corroding metal.

- On the "simplicity" angle, one of the most superior things about real books, in my opinion, is that they don't have a "user interface". You just read them, and they behave like everything else in the physical world, sparing your cognitive resources for their actual information content. (Bret Victor has a nice rant about that at http://worrydream.com/#!/MagicInk <http://worrydream.com/#%21/MagicInk> )

- Print technology is orders of magnitude more environmentally benign and affordable.

but, has the drawback that one has to print every copy of every book in existence. a computer can easily contain far more books than a person could likely ever reasonably amass in print form, or for that matter reasonably store or transport.

- And don't even get me started on intellectual property and its abuses! If I want to loan, resell, or give away my books, it ain't nobody's business.

IMHO, information should generally be free.
things like standards documents and documentation for things and similar should ideally be free of charge (and free to redistribute) for anyone who wants to do so.

fiction is likely different, since in this case, this could be the sole product of the author, and they need to make a living somehow, and also the contents of fictional books are less critical (limited access to a piece of fiction is fairly unlikely to adversely effect an individual, but limiting access to knowledge and factual information is far more likely to result in harm).

- The relatively high expense of getting a book printed means that books are still generally higher quality sources of information than websites, although perhaps this is being eroded too with all the print-on-demand self-publishing.

I think it depends.

although there is some crap on the internet, a lot of good information can be found as well, especially in the form of standards documents (from ISO or ECMA or W3C or others).

OTOH, despite being fairly expensive, I have seen stuff which is fairly obviously crap in some of the required textbooks for college courses (some fairly solidly worse than the usual "teach yourself X in Y units-of-time" books), with the major difference that a "teach yourself" book is something like $15, rather than more like $150 for typical college textbooks...

one of the worse I saw was primarily screenshots from Visual Studio with arrows drawn on them with comments like "click here" and "drag this there", and pretty much the whole book was this, and I wasn't exactly impressed... (and each "chapter" was basically a bunch of "follow the screenshots and you will end up with whatever program was the assignment for this chapter...").

and the teacher didn't even accept any homework, it was simply "click to check yes that you have read chapter/done assignment, and receive credit".

not that I necessarily have a problem with easy classes, but there probably needs to be some sort of reasonable limit.

nevermind several classes that have apparently outsourced the homework to the textbook distributor.

sometimes though, it is kind of difficult to have a very positive opinion of "education" (or, at least, CS classes... general-education classes tend to be actually fairly difficult... but then the classes just suck).

a person is probably almost better off learning CS being self-taught, FWIW (except when it is the great will of parents that a person goes and gets a degree and so on).

unless maybe it is just personal perception, and to others the general education classes are "click yes to pass" and the CS classes are actually difficult (and actually involve doing stuff...). sometimes though, the classes are harder, and may actually ask the student to write some code (and I know someone who is having difficulty, having encountered such a class, with an assignment mostly consisting of using linked-lists and reading/writing the contents of text files).

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have replied to this post at all except that I wanted to let you all know about an especially relevant project which is trying to raise money to publish a book. I joined Kickstarter just to support this thing, and I am very reluctant to "join" websites these days. If you were at SPLASH 2010 in Reno, you might recall Slim from his Onward! film presentation. I think he's really onto something, although his language is a little touchy-feely. Please, check it out. If you believe better design is a necessary part of better computing (as do I) then please consider a pledge.

http://kck.st/whvn03

(Oops, I just checked, and he's made the goal! Well, I've already wrote this, and I still mean it, but perhaps with a little less urgency.)

-- Max

ok.