On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:09:28PM -0800, Max Orhai wrote:
> Here's a study which is a little more careful. Basically, it comes down to
> how many e-books your expect to read over the life of your device. Baseline
> for an iPad (considering only carbon emissions from manufacturing) is about
> 100 books.

I don't know how you're using your ebook depository, but if used as
a research library you'll easily access hundreds of documents/week.
Fundamentally, a reader can be made as printed sheet of OLED upon
the printed battery, resulting in a ~mm thin device with 2-3 years
usable life which is then recycled.

Nevermind that you can access your library from anywhere in the world,
with full text search.

I also noticed that I completely stopped buying books and printing
since I bought my tablet. Electronics production may be energy-intensive
and polluting currently, but that's not intrinsic to the technology.