On 13/03/2012, at 1:21 PM, BGB wrote:

> although theoretically possible, I wouldn't really trust not having the
> ability to use conventional text editors whenever need-be (or mandate use of
> a particular editor).
>
> for most things I am using text-based formats, including for things like
> world-maps and 3D models (both are based on arguably mutilated versions of
> other formats: Quake maps and AC3D models). the power of text is that, if by
> some chance someone does need to break out a text editor and edit something,
> the format wont hinder them from doing so.

What is "text"? Do you store your "text" in ASCII, EBCDIC, SHIFT-JIS or UTF-8?
If it's UTF-8, how do you use an ASCII editor to edit the UTF-8 files?

Just saying' ;-) Hopefully you understand my point.

You probably won't initially, so hopefully you'll meditate a bit on my response
without giving a knee-jerk reaction.

Julian