On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Julian Leviston <jul...@leviston.net>wrote:

> On 13/03/2012, at 1:21 PM, BGB wrote:
>
> although theoretically possible, I wouldn't really trust not having the
> ability to use conventional text editors whenever need-be (or mandate use
> of a particular editor).
>
> for most things I am using text-based formats, including for things like
> world-maps and 3D models (both are based on arguably mutilated versions of
> other formats: Quake maps and AC3D models). the power of text is that, if
> by some chance someone does need to break out a text editor and edit
> something, the format wont hinder them from doing so.
>

> What is "text"? Do you store your "text" in ASCII, EBCDIC, SHIFT-JIS or
> UTF-8? If it's UTF-8, how do you use an ASCII editor to edit the UTF-8
> files?
>
> Just saying' ;-) Hopefully you understand my point.
>
> You probably won't initially, so hopefully you'll meditate a bit on my
> response without giving a knee-jerk reaction.

Text is more than an arbitrary arcane linear sequence of characters. Its
use suggests TRANSPARENCY - that a human could understand the grammar and
content, from a relatively small sample, and effectively hand-modify the
content to a particular end.

If much of our text consisted of GUIDs:
  {21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
This might as well be
  {BLAHBLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAHBLAHBLAH}

The structure is clear, but its meaning is quite opaque.

That said, structured editors are not incompatible with an underlying text
format. I think that's really the best option.

Regarding multi-line quotes... well, if you aren't fixated on ASCII you
could always use unicode to find a whole bunch more brackets:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/cjk_symbols_and_punctuation/images.htm

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/miscellaneous_technical/images.htm

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/block/miscellaneous_mathematical_symbols_a/images.htm
Probably more than you know what to do with.

Regards,

Dave