John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 15, 2012 2:39 PM, "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <p...@informatimago.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> > Sorry, you did not answer my question, but instead presented excuses
>> > for why programmers misunderstand people.  (Can I paraphrase your
>> > thoughts as, "Because people are not programmers!")
>>
>> No, you misunderstood my answer:
>> "Because people don't pay programmers enough."
>
> In the words of comedian Spike Milligan, "All I ask is for the chance to
> prove money can't make me happy."
>
> But my motto comes from pianist Glenn Gould: the ideal ratio of performers to
> audience is one. I have never seen a software team produce better results
> with better pay, but most of
> the great advances in software came from somebody doing something differently
> because any other way was simply wrong.
>
> Having seen millionaires throw their money around to build their dream app
> (the Chandler project featured in Scott Rosenberg's book Dreaming in Code and
> all of Sandy Klausner's
> vaporware graphical programming ideas), and seeing what road blocks still
> remained, I disbelieve your answer.
>
> Who invented the spreadsheet? One person.
> Who invented pivot tables? One person.
> Who invented modeless text editing? One person.
>
> How much money is enough, anyway?  In the words of John D. Rockefellar, "A
> little bit more"?

I wasn't speaking of the work of art programmers would do anyway.

I was speaking of what the customers want.  If they want to have the
same services as offered by plumbers (you don't hold the spanner to a
plumber, or you don't bring your own tubes; you don't get wet;  you just
call him, and let him deal with the leak: simple and nice user
interface, good end-result, including the hefty bill), then you'll have
to pay the same hourly rates as what you pay to plumbers.  Just google
some statistics.