Ah, I thought DIS only sent id, position, orientation, velocity and
acceleration.  Do objects own their properties, or can anyone on the
network provide them?

I've heard of people mixing X3D with DIS.  I thought that X3D provided all
the modelling and visualization, and DIS provided the above.  X3D is a
textual language.  When asked about security on the X3D-public list, the
suggestion was to use session ids....yeah, right, one key for the whole
browser.