I've been working on an implementation of boot.c in common lisp for the
past few weeks; my code now correctly generates eval.s.

You can find the code here https://github.com/burrows-labs/below-the-top.

I had been considering for some time that lisp evaluation could be broken
down into an abstract transformation machine. Each stage composing on the
results of the previous stage until finally execution stops after doing the
evaluation transformation. Each stage has it's own set of semantics
pertaining to the different data types. ie, expansion treats a macro
differently than the reader.  I implemented boot.c using this model.

The code still needs a bath and it's very slow; largely because it's using
an assoc list and string= to lookup symbols.

In order to run the code, you will also need this file
https://github.com/burrows-labs/lisp/blob/master/repl-utils.lisp.  And you
will have to make these changes to the maru code
https://gist.github.com/burrows-labs/1f2edcdd92271a9c8ef7.  My
implementation uses a graph for environments and this doesn't play well
with what maru expects for current-environment(...) (being the global
environment usually).  I also didn't spend time trying to get *globals* to
work; so you have to use _global-environment(...).

The c implementation of maru uses encode(...); which changes the semantics
of doing lookups in ``operators'' and ``forms'' (global variables) as
emit.l expects symbols to already have been substituted for fixed and expr.

Implementing quote(...) and set(...) nicely proved to be challenging.  I
introduced the ``pseudoexpansion'' transformer to handle with set(...).
 Here (set (that other) x) we want to expand set(...) after it's arguments
are expanded (because ``that'' might be a macro).  We could explicitly
expand the arguments in maru-primitive-set; currently we use
``pseudoexpansion''.

During ``pseudoexpansion'' we know that all other expansions have occurred.

I never came up with a satisfactory solution for quote; currently the
expansion transformer has to use a conditional for fixed leads in order to
prevent the expansion of quote args.

_lead_ is what the implementation calls the first form in an sexpression.

_args_ are the other forms.

There are more than 100 tests at the bottom of 'metalang.lisp' that may
help in understanding how the code works.  I also kept a list of notes
about the original boot.c that you can find here
https://gist.github.com/burrows-labs/7369854.

the ``='' operator is broke; it gives incorrect results for things that
aren't strings, symbols and numbers. but it works well enough to run the
compiler.

Generalizing the processing of the sexpressions into the transformers model
was pretty straightforward for the most part.  But note that
*forwarding-symbol* is a bit of a hack.  Because I want to deal with each
type of object in it's particular handler for each stage of execution (and
not just do everything in the symbol handler); some combinations of
transformer and data type require me to return the symbol instead of the
thing it's binded to.  In particular if I'm doing an expansion and I get
forwarded to an expr, it needs to know what symbol it's binded to (instead
of replacing the symbol with the expression object as we would during
evaluation).

maru is a pretty ecosystem; the simplicity of the multimethod
implementation speaks for itself.