Around 0 o'clock on Dec 3, Anthony Fok wrote:

> Under zh_HK locale, however, since no zh_HK fonts were found on the system,
> the zh_CN font appears to have a higher priority over the zh_TW one,
> resulting in a funny-looking mosaic of text rendered with about 1/3 zh_CN
> and 2/3 zh_TW.  This is my first problem.

We can solve this with a configuration change:

        <match target="pattern">
                <test qual="any" name="lang">
                        <string>zh-hk</string>
                </test>
                <edit name="lang" mode="append">
                        <string>zh-tw</string>
                </edit>
        </match>

This says that when asking for a font which supports 'zh-hk', accept as a
reasonable substitute a font which supports 'zh-tw'.

> The second problem is that fontconfig 2.0 does not seem to recognize a
> zh_HK (HKSCS-2001) font as such.

It's quite possible that the hk orthography is too selective; the HKSCS
includes a lot of codepoints which may not be in the fonts you're
interested in.  You can check which codepoints are supported in that font
using 'xfd'.  If you can, send as many HKSCS fonts as you can along to me
and I'll modify the orthography to fit them.  The trick is to make sure
that only fonts with "reasonable" HKSCS support are matched.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab