Hello Keith,

Wow, you are really fast!  I didn't expect to receive a reply within
minutes, but yes, I am really grateful that you have been so responsive and
helpful.  :-)

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:39:05AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 2 o'clock on Dec 5, Anthony Fok wrote:
>
> > The PUA mapping is a distinguishing feature of a HKSCS font.
>
> Hmm.  I removed these hoping that the remaining standard codepoints would
> serve to correctly identify HKSCS fonts.  I'm not entirely sanguine about
> using PUA codepoints in this way, but it appears we don't have a better
> option.

I see your point.  I guess the reason using PUA is safe in this case
because nearly all HKSCS fonts, at least within these few years, will
provide mapping to PUA as a fallback, especially for the 1650+
characters above U+20000.  There are still too many software limited
within the BMP, especially for legacy systems like Windows 98.  ;-)

On the other hand, in the future, if a large CJK + CJK A + CJK B font
(without HKSCS compatibility PUA) comes along... Hmm... do the *.orth
support "either or", say "F308|2010C"?  <grin, duck, run>  ;-)

Thanks again, and cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling