Thanks Chris.

It looks like 'precedence' (when implemented) behaves to alter the dimensions of the region boundaries.
What I was looking for is - when content overflows the region (and overflow='visible' - which looks like FOPs default)
into another region - which region is given the higher z-index?

I can't find any mentions of this (but may have missed them) so my current impression is that this is undefined / implementation dependent.

I'm checking because I want to know when I'm applying a fix for an incorrect / missing feature (which other renderers may implement) - and when I'm
looking for a feature that XSL-FO does not support.

I mentioned the FOP 'background-image' non-use as I need to dynamically determine the position of logo's etc (for HTML and / or PDF) in a CGI script
and FOP doesn't support background-image positioning.
The page sizes will vary and there may be several logos + watermark text, so I have several elements to layout and using overflow regions looks like the natural method
(and creating an image of these for each invocation is more programming and processing than I care to do if it can be avoided.)
(I'm also trying to implement border decorations - for which background image is suitable.)

FOP (and XEP) currently places region-before content on top of region-body
FOP places region-after on top of region-before.
XEP places region-after under region-before and on top of region-before.

(Incidentally FOP interprets 'top' for region-after to be the start of the region.
XEP interprets 'top' for region-after to be the top of the page area.)

What I want is to place non-region-body content behind region-body.

From: Mike Trotman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What determines the relative z-index layering of content in
xsl-region-before, xsl-region-after, xsl-region-body ?
If content in these regions overlaps what determines which appears on
top and which gets overwritten?

region-before and region-after have a precedence property that defaults to false. Set it to true if you want region-before/after to be on-top of start/end in the corners.

Unfortunately, the FOP compliance page indicates that this property has not been implemented.

Any information / pointers appreciated.

(This question was triggered by trying to get underlaid Watermark
effects with images / text.
I'm using FOP-0.20.5 and so can't achieve the effect I want using
'background-image' in the page-master definition).

Why not? background-image is implemented on fo:region-* elements

Chris

Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511 http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/9rHolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- Datalucid Limited 8 Eileen Road South Norwood London SE25 5EJ tel :0208-239-6810 mob: 0794-725-9760 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] UK Co. Reg: 4383635 VAT Reg.: 798 7531 60