Hi Warren,

Warren Young wrote:
> I'm trying to fix or suppress the warnings I'm getting from FOP 0.94 in
> formatting MySQL++'s (http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/) user manual.  (To
> try it yourself, download MySQL++, then go in to doc/userman and say
> "make pdf".)
>
> I get 1800+ lines of errors, but there are just a few types:
>
> - fo:table, table-layout="auto" is currently not supported by FOP
>
> I've tried disabling this one by trying to set the default table width
> to 100% in my fo.xsl customization layer, but it doesn't help.  I'm
> aware that I could probably turn on FOP extensions to suppress it, but
> I'd rather use a standard method.

You mean the ‘fop1.extensions’ stylesheet parameter? Well, that’s
already what this parameter is doing actually. Anyway, AFAIK this
parameter doesn’t really introduce FOP extensions, but rather tweaks the
output to make FOP handle it more nicely, by using plain XSL-FO tricks.
So I think it’s safe enabling it.

As to this particular problem:
- you should first upgrade to the newest 1.73.2 stylesheets, the 1.69.1
  are really old now.
- I’ve experienced that enabling the ‘fop1.extensions’ parameter is not
  sufficient if you don’t specify column widths in the DocBook source.
  Well the warning will be different: “table-layout="fixed" and
  column-width unspecified => falling back to
  proportional-column-width(1)”
  If you add colspec elements in the source you should be ok.

> - Line 1 of a paragraph overflows the available area. (fo:block,
> location: 2/33495)

Not sure you want to ignore this one. This usually means that some
content goes in the margin, possibly resulting in text being clipped.

> - The contents of row 1 are taller than they should be

This is because a table row has a specified height but its content
overflows it. You may want to determine how those heights are introduced
(probably the default stylesheets, but it’s a bit surprising), and
remove them. That said, appart from the annoying warning, the output
will be fine.

HTH,
Vincent