Hi Warren,

Warren Young wrote:
> Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>>> - fo:table, table-layout="auto" is currently not supported by FOP
>>>
>>> I've tried disabling this one by trying to set the default table width
>>> to 100% in my fo.xsl customization layer, but it doesn't help.  I'm
>>> aware that I could probably turn on FOP extensions to suppress it, but
>>> I'd rather use a standard method.
>>
>> You mean the ‘fop1.extensions’ stylesheet parameter?
>
> Yes.
>
> It seems to have no effect.  I've tried setting it two ways.  First, in
> the command that does .dbx to .fo processing:
>
>     xsltproc --stringparam fop1.extensions 1 ....
>
> and in my fo.xsl file, which is a customization layer for the above
> process, so this should be equivalent:
>
>     <xsl:param name="fop1.extensions" select="1"/>

Well it does have an effect if I add it to the fo.xsl customization
file, and by using at least the 1.72.0 stylesheets. It might well be
that this will work only with recent releases of the stylesheets.

To avoid the other warning (‘... falling back to proportional-
column-width(1)’), I had to modify the DocBook source and put two
colspec with a colwidth attribute, instead of only one colspec:
    <colspec colsep="1" rowsep="1" colwidth="*"/>
    <colspec colsep="1" rowsep="1" colwidth="*"/>

>>> - Line 1 of a paragraph overflows the available area. (fo:block,
>>> location: 2/33495)
>>
>> Not sure you want to ignore this one. This usually means that some
>> content goes in the margin, possibly resulting in text being clipped.
>
> Given that I'm using DocBook and not generating FO myself, why would
> this happen?

Simply because there is no possibility to break the text over several
lines/pages. This is not dependent on the toolchain but rather on the
input document. In your particular case this is caused by the program
listings, which have too long lines. I managed to reduce the number of
warnings to only 3 by adding font-size="80%" to the
‘monospace.verbatim.properties’ attribute set, but this is perhaps not
what you want. You may let FOP automatically wrap the text, by removing
the wrap-option="no-wrap" from the same attribute set —but honestly the
result won’t look very good. Or you may implement the line-wrapping in
your source code extraction tool.

HTH,
Vincent