On Jul 22, 2008, at 19:14, Jean-François El Fouly wrote:

Andreas Delmelle a écrit :
The font shorthand requires at least two components: font-size and font-family.

So it should be either of the two following variants:

font-family="Verdana"
font="10pt Verdana"

See: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#font (style, weight, variant, line- height are optional; size and family are required)

The reason that you don't see any effect in the output is most likely that the font-family is properly passed to the descendant nodes via inheritance (but I'd have to dive deeper into the related code and some examples to say for sure).
Ha ha... So my XML stanza:

<fo:block font-weight="normal" font-size="8" font-family="Verdana" font="Verdana">

is wrong, and the last attribute font="Verdana" does nothing and probably causes the error message ?

Not probably... most definitely. I guess you could even say: "It does nothing, except generate an error message." ;-)

But indeed, if you also specify it as value of 'font-family', that explains why the font still gets embedded.

Cheers

Andreas