nancy_b a écrit :
Hi dear Pascal,

Thank you for your response. I can't see any improvement in handling fonts.
See:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/changes_0.95beta.html#Changes+to+the+Font+Subsystem
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/changes_0.95.html#Changes+to+the+Font+Subsystem
For example, while FOP 0.94 hasn't complained, FOP 0.95 generates the
following error message:

WARNING: Font 'Symbol,normal,700' not found. Substituting with
'Symbol,normal,400'.
Jun 2, 2009 2:14:25 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
WARNING: Font 'ZapfDingbats,normal,700' not found. Substituting with
'ZapfDingbats,normal,400'.
Jun 2, 2009 2:14:31 PM org.apache.fop.hyphenation.Hyphenator
getHyphenationTree

I checked with my stylesheets, and I don't see any place where I explicitly
told the compiler to use these fonts in my customization layer. After a lot
of investigation, I changed the following default parameter:

<xsl:param name="symbol.font.family">Symbol,ZapfDingbats</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="symbol.font.family">Helvetica</xsl:param>

and this caused these messages to disappear. However, I am not sure that it
was a correct workaround. Why did FOP 0.94 not complain about these fonts?

Moreover, it's still unclear to me how I should increase JAVA heap size
using the Xmx argument? Where should I enter it?
Depending on how you invoke FOP:
Command Line under Windows:
In FOP.BAT, find the line [set JAVAOPTS=-Denv.windir=%WINDIR%]

and add the parameter like this:

[set JAVAOPTS=-Denv.windir=%WINDIR% -Xmx256m]

Where 256m is for 256Mb
FYI, xmx defaults to 64m

For embedded FOP, this depends on how the application is invoked.
For example, with Tomcat, you can do that from the monitor tool, tab [Java], field [Max Memory Pool]
Thanks a lot in advance!
Nancy

Pascal Sancho wrote:
nancy_b a écrit :
Hi folks,

I decided to move to FOP 0.95 (previously used FOP 0.94). When compiling
large PDF doc (more than 200 pages) the following error occurs:

FOP Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap
space

What is really frustrating and annoying is that FOP 0.94 did not have
such a
problem. Could you please explain why the new FOP version has this
problem.
We usually expect improvements in the newer versions... ;-(

Thanks in advance!
Nancy
Hi,
There is a lot of improvment in FOP 0.95 that can explain a /light/ increase of memory consumption (new image support, better font hanfling, etc.) Perhaps the memory allocated to FOP was /just/ enough with 0.94 version, but not with 0.95 version.
You should 1st increase the max memory allocation to the JVM.
Also check this link: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/running.html#memory.

Pascal
HTH,

Pascal