Hi Phill,
I make a call to FOP itself to find the fonts - see FOPManager::InitialiseFonts
in the code from my first reply.  The magic line is
SortedMap<?,?> fontFamilies = new FontListGenerator().listFonts( ms_fopFactory,
org.apache.xmlgraphics.util.MimeConstants.MIME_PDF, fontEventListener );
I've looked at the FOP internal code and they simply squirrel through various
directories, based on the current OS, to find font files.  I call this code and
then simply cache that information.
I suspect to add a font in at runtime you'd need to configure that in the FOP
configuration file - never had to do this myself.

Cheers,
Bernard.