On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Jason Harrop <jhar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its a  Word document I'm converting to FO, and in it, bidi is a
> paragraph level property:
>
>      http://webapp.docx4java.org/OnlineDemo/ecma376/WordML/bidi_1.html
>
> The table in question contains some cells with English content (left
> aligned), and others with Arabic content (in Word, these ones are
> right aligned by the bidi property).

I'm not familiar with WordML, but basically, you need to decide whether the
table is a LTR or RTL table, which will determine (ignoring vertical modes):

   - whether columns proceed from LTR or RTL
   - the mapping of WM relative properties *-start and *-end to absolute
   directions -*left and *-right.
   - the default paragraph bidi level for content in the scope of the table
   (that doesn't have an overriding WM, e.g., that might be specified in a
   descendant block-container);

If you want to mix LTR and RTL content in the same table, you will need to
specify appropriate overrides to produce the desired result:

   - enclose the content of a block in a table-cell with bidi-override
   - specify text-align="right" on RTL blocks in a LTR table cell

For example, in a LTR table containing RTL cell content:

<block><bidi-override unicode-bidi="embed" direction="rtl">RTL content in a
LTR table cell</bidi-override></block>

Note that text-align doesn't actually apply to table-cell, but rather,
applies to block. However, we can write the text-align property on
table-cell since it is inherited by its children. This might be useful if
the cell contains multiple blocks and you don't want to specify text-align
on them individually.