On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Magdalen Berns <m.be...@thismagpie.com>
wrote:

> As regards comments on Outreachy internships (which seem to have clearly
> been cited a lot more in defence of this new practice, than GSoC); this is
> an internship specifically developed to address an identified problem of
> inclusiveness for under-represented minorities in FOSS and it is heavily
> associated with GNOME so, it's worth emphasising that one of the barriers
> which women are particularly likely to face in general, is that they are
> more likely to be told that their work has less value than someone else's,
> when that is not actually the case.  A number of members here have
> indicated that interns are actually making non-trivial contributions, so on
> that basis would you not agree with the principle that applying a less
> favourable membership illegibility criteria for these interns in particular
> than for everybody else, sends out a somewhat contradictory message to the
> community about GNOME's commitment to equality? Moreover, if it is actually
> the case that this idea was a response to the applications from Outreachy
> (formally OPW) internships (as the comments on this thread are beginning to
> suggest), then we really do have problem.

Regarding this, I think it's fair to mention that there are very few women
who have full-time employment working on GNOME. This is an area where (imo)
we have not made significant headway as a group. OPW was established as a
paid opportunity partly because women face financial barriers when
contributing to FOSS. So you should be aware that you are asking people who
have a significantly lower chance of being hired to work on GNOME
professionally to work for free for an extra period of time, with none of
the benefits associated with foundation membership.