No no, a string with unicode characters is interpreted by the compiler as widestring constant, never as UTF-8 ansistring constant. If it does otherwise, the compiler probably does not interpret your source code as Unicode. The issue might be the UCS-2 encoding of your source, perhaps try to feed the compiler UTF-8, I didn't even know the compiler accepts UCS-2, it may not work correctly.
Maybe you pinpointed the cause of the constant assigning issue I see here. There is no selectable option in Lazarus to use UCS-2 coded source files, it seems to be set to utf-8 on default and I never changed it. Nonetheless my source file is stored as clean UTF-2 including correct BOM. So maybe the compiler is fooled by Lazarus in some way.

But even if this in fact is a Lazarus- and not an FPC- problem, not decently converting UTF8String <-> WideString seems an essential issue, nonetheless, even if this problem in many cases is triggered by the LCL using UTF-8 for everything.

-Michael