On 23 Oct 2008, at 13:41, Michael Schnell wrote:

utf-16 application shouldn't do this
either: it doesn't handle surrogates properly
Right you are. For me WideString is UCS2 and not UTF16, as I regard it as a sequence of WideChar so that the Unicode user code can be done using WideChar and WideString. WideChar only has 16 Bits. So this restrict us to Unicode Characters < $FFFF.

I doubt that I ever will need to use Unicode Characters > $FFFF, but of course there _are_ other projects.

I doubt that you will never need to support decomposed characters (such as ä being encoded as basically "a¨"). It's not that uncommon.