Am 19.04.2011 12:27, schrieb Daniël Mantione:

Op Tue, 19 Apr 2011, schreef Florian Klämpfl:

It's just that the documentation tells you not to use the x87.

Yes, because it's strange programming model should be really dropped.

Agree, but the 80 bit support makes some people want to use it. And that
will stay this way until CPU manufacturers invent an alternative.

Using extended typically hides only bad numerical algorithms. There might be some corner cases where extended is usefull but I general I think it's a matter of bad algorithms.

By the way, recent GCC versions calculate the goniometric functions in
software using SSE3, and I checked that this is indeed slightly faster
than the x87.

I know but as usual, time etc ;)