In our previous episode, Dani?l Mantione said:

> By the way, recent GCC versions calculate the goniometric functions in
> software using SSE3, and I checked that this is indeed slightly faster
> than the x87. So we can get rid to the x87 stuff, should we want.

You'll need to runtime test for SSE3 though. Since the first generation of
athlon64's (clawhammer and friends, socket 751 or so) doesn't have SSE3.

I checked and 64-bit Pentium-D's do have SSE3, at least mine does:

CPU:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2793.02-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf47  Family = f  Model = 4  Stepping = 7

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x641d<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,CNXT-ID,CX16,xTPR>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant