This is just a compressed installation:
if you expand everything into directory
  /your/base/dir
then
  adding /your/base/dir/bin to  PATH environment variable
should allow you to use this installation.

  However, there are indeed at least two known problems:
1) The missing symbolic link between
  bin/ppcCPU to ../lib/fpc/$FPCVERSION/ppcCPU
where CPU is etiher mips or mpisel in our case.

  I don't know if this is just a limitation of tar
or something that could easily be added...

2) A basic fpc.cfg file that gets read by the ppcCPU binary to
find the installed ppu and object files.

  I have a .fpc.cfg file in my HOME directory which contains
-Fu/home/pierre/pas/fpc-$fpcversion/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/*

This is enough to find all installed ppu and object files
as long as you install all your different Free Pascal versions
into $HOME/fpc-$fpcversion
$fpcversion is simply the output of a 'ppcCPU -iV' call.

 If you want to know where you could put a configuration
file (if you prefer to have a different for each version for example)
a good way is to use 'ppcCPU -va'
which will output a lot of information,
but look for lines containing "Configfile"

  After those simple operations,
you should be able to recompile the whole
trunk SVN checkout!

Hope this helps,

Pierre Muller