On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:47 PM Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis via fpc-devel <
fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I read at compiler/systems/i_embed.pas the AVR systeminfo, is the
> only one that, has as default "dbg : dbg_dwarf3". The other embed
> systems that uses dwarf ( ARM, MIPSEL, i8086, m68k, RISCV32/64, XTENSA,
> Z80 ), all have as default "dbg : dbg_dwarf2".
>
>    The AVR has problems with dbg_dwarf2 ? If not, could you please
> change the AVR systeminfo to dwarf2 also for consistency ?

That was a fix for compiling controller units with lots of symbols, refer
to this discussion thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org/msg35416.html
Dwarf2 is fine in general, unless the address (I think address in dwarf
debug section, the details are a bit hazy in my memory) of symbols exceed
65535. Dwarf3 offers a larger data type for this scenario.