On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 3:16 PM Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis via fpc-devel <
fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> Στις 10/2/2021 2:25 μ.μ., ο/η Christo Crause έγραψε:
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:47 PM Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis via fpc-devel <
> fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I read at compiler/systems/i_embed.pas the AVR systeminfo, is the
>> only one that, has as default "dbg : dbg_dwarf3". The other embed
>> systems that uses dwarf ( ARM, MIPSEL, i8086, m68k, RISCV32/64, XTENSA,
>> Z80 ), all have as default "dbg : dbg_dwarf2".
>>
>>    The AVR has problems with dbg_dwarf2 ? If not, could you please
>> change the AVR systeminfo to dwarf2 also for consistency ?
>>

> That was a fix for compiling controller units with lots of symbols, refer
> to this discussion thread:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org/msg35416.html
> Dwarf2 is fine in general, unless the address (I think address in dwarf
> debug section, the details are a bit hazy in my memory) of symbols exceed
> 65535. Dwarf3 offers a larger data type for this scenario.
>
>  I'm using ppcrossavr with systeminfo default "dbg : dbg_dwarf2" with no
> problems. If I remember correctly, IMHO, fixing the issue 33914 (
> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=33914 ) had the collateral effect
> to fixing also the above.
>
>  For test, I just debugged a physical atmega32u2 mcu with Lazarus with no
> problems at all. Also for test, I builded an avr35 subarch ppcrossavr and
> also debugged a physical atmega32u2 mcu with no problems.

You are probably right, I never checked if the pointer change of #33914
also fixed the original issue in the mailing list so the default dwarf
version for AVR could be changed back to 2.  But then Florian does have a
point, why not make the default for all targets dwarf 3?