Hi,

On 2016-02-24 14:02, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> I've looked at it in the past and found it woefully unreliable, but
> there's a chance that it's improved since it's been adopted as an
> official part of X11.

I can't really answer that, other than that I've used it for the last
week with both systems running X Server v1.17.4  (though the one system
did run v1.14.3 up until yesterday), and it hasn't given me any problems
thus far.

> I ended up using x2x which at least allows me to use a single keyboard
> and mouse over four screens.

I don't know x2x - how is that different to Xdmx?

With Xdmx you can combine up to 16 computers, and where you designate a
single "master" computer. The "master" is where I sit with a keyboard
and mouse. My usable desktop (thanks to xinerama) is the combination of
all screen resolutions put together. I can also arrange the screens in
any configuration.

eg:

    1 - 2 - 3 - 4

or

    1 - 2
    3 - 4

etc.
The IBM link I listed in my previous email has some screenshots of
various screen layouts.

>From what you describe, x2x seems to do similar, but maybe uses a
different network protocol or something? Tonight I'll try and read up on
x2x too.

Regards,
  Graeme