Hi,

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Paul Robinson wrote:

> Instruction Set:
> The Raspberry Pi Zero uses an ARM V6 instruction set.

And as Graeme wrote, all versions of the original RPi 1 also use the v6
instruction set, and are single core. I think the new Zero W (with Wifi)
is also the same.

> Raspberry Pi 2b, 3b; Banana Pi M2, M3; Orange Pi One, PC, Plus, Plus 2;
> ODROID C1 Plus, XU4 all use the ARM V7 instruction set.

> The Raspberry Pi 3B and the ODROID C2 use the ARM V8 Instruction set.

Although, the default Raspbian only uses the RPi 3B as a 32bit platform,
which means it runs with the ARMv7 instruction set in the user space, if
you run Linux. I don't know about the ODROID C2.

But it is also important to note from a Free Pascal point of view, that if
someone still goes experimental, and tries 64bit on an RPi or ODROID C2,
they will need the AArch64 version of Free Pascal, not the ARM one, to use
the 64bit features of the chip (which the ARMv8 instruction set is all
about) natively.

(AArch64 relates to ARM like x86_64 relates to i386. Sort of... :P)

> I could not get a solid answer for the Tinkerboard but some people
> believe it's an ARM v7 instruction set.

It is. It is based on the: Rockchip RK3288 SoC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip_RK3288

which has a Cortex-A17 CPU core, which has the ARMv7A instruction set:
https://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a17-processor.php

> In theory any of these that use the ARM V7 instruction set should be
> equivalent to the Raspberry Pi 2B and in theory if they have a Linux
> operating system with the same modules it requires then the version of
> Lazarus/Free Pascal for Raspberry Pi should work on them. The operating
> words here are "in theory." There can be subtle differences in the
> associated hardware on the board beyond the processor.  Probably you
> just have to try running apt-get or whichever installer it supports for
> the version of Linux it uses and find out.

I think by now the ARMv7 chips' userspace code support is fairly
consistent with themselves and should work. Remember, most of these chips
originate from the mobile world, where they have to run Android binaries,
and a lot of them contain native libs, not only Java.

Charlie