Continuing with GIT...

I am now studying a few on-line documents outlining the conversion of
a CVS repository to GIT. There is a script suite named cvs2svn with a
number of specific scripts for various targets like cvs2git, so I
think I can use this. But I think I have found a problem, which may or
may not exist, but I need to check:

We use the CVS modules concept a lot in our CVS repository. It
virtualizes programming projects by collecting files from various
"common" modules into a target structure for the project itself.
We have as example a CommonFiles module, which contains 26 files
implementing various commonly needed functions.
In any given actual project the specific source files for that project
is stored as a named module of files.

Now the module definition in CVS collects the files and folders from
various places into the structure of the project itself, often placing
the files for the actual project into a "source" folder. The common
files are placed in separate folders next to the source folder in the
checkout.
The net effect is that we have these specific and common files
collected into folders in the work project folder ready to be worked
on.

The beauty of this is that we do not need to duplicate common
functionality between projects as would be the case if we *copied* the
common files into the source folder. These files are used in many
places but versioned in a single place on the server.

What would be the corresponding GIT method for this?
Or is it even possible?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden