On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 15:46:43 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys
<mailingli...@geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

>1) I suggest you start with a 'gitk --all' and see how the history
>    of your repository looks like, and if there is any history at all.

The history is there all right, but I think that the tags are a bit
different...
It seems like GIT does not like the fact that in CVS only changed
files can be committed thus revisions of files evolve on a file by
file basis. So when a CVS tag operation is performed the tag is
applied on all of the files in the current state. This means that a
CVS tag contains files at different revision levels and apparently
this is something GIT does not like.
So it tries to "fix" this by making fake commits or something similar.

>2) You don't have to reset each file one by one. You can do it all
>    in one go with:  git reset --hard
>
>    But why all your files are marked for deletion is a mystery to
>    me.

I can go elsewhere and clone the creatred repository at which time I
am getting the HEAD revision checked out. Relevant files compare fine
except they are not the correct timestamp.

Concerning nested projects...
I found a caveat in the documentation for CVS2GIT:
"Only single projects can be converted at a time. Given the way git is
typically used, I don't think that this is a significant limitation."

In fact it is a limitation in our case, but I have to go looking for a
way to get around it...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden