You seem to know your way around, Bernd, don't you!
Well, I've tried xterm -hold -e /my/program :
the xterm-window pops up and stays with nothing in it at all: no error and
no program output [which should be there]: seems to me that the program
isn't being run at all! That is if it is compiled with fpc 2.4.0
Compiled with fpc 1.9.4 there indeed is the usual program putput !
My prog. uses the crt,unix,keyboard units from rtl, does some disk i/o and
some window x/y cursor positioning.
It's supposed to run on a console so it needs the xterm in X11 .
With your suggested 'Hello World' prog there is no difference between fpc
1.9 and 2.4 and this works.

But do not bother any longer, Bernd: you've shown me a way around [ even if
you've never intended this ] and I'm happy with that.

My general wish for the compiler programmer would be that old versions would
still be available and installable in the future as new versions sometimes
show strange behaviours on old prorgams [ this has happened before when the
internal representations of real numbers were altered leaving my old data
files unreadable]